3/F Dusit Thani Manila ayala center, Makati City Tel. 8819-5644 / 8810-9622



  • Foreign nationals residing in Japan, who wish to leave Japan temporarily and then return during the authorized term of residence, may re-enter Japan without obtaining a visa if they receive in advance, a "re-entry permit" from the nearest Regional Immigration Bureau or its branches.
  • The maximum validity of the re-entry permit is set at "5 years", if it does not exceed the period of stay. In the case of special permanent residents, the maximum validity of the re-entry permit is set at "6 years".
  • Two types of Re-entry permit are: Multiple which can be used several times within the period of validity and Single which is valid for only one time and has to be re-applied once used at the Regional Immigration Bureau.

Cases that can and cannot apply for extension of period of validity

  • Application for extension of validity of re-entry permit outside Japan can be done within 7 years from the date the permit was issued as special permanent residents and up to 6 years from the date the permit was issued for those holding other status of residence. Extension beyond these periods is not possible. Also, re-entry permits cannot be extended beyond the authorized term of residence/period of stay.
  • Please apply for extension of re-entry permit within the validity period of the existing re-entry permit. In principle, if the period of validity of the permit has expired, it cannot be extended.
  • If you leave the country on a special re-entry permit, the period of validity cannot be extended.


  • Size of document for application should be A4 size only. If document is other size, please submit copy that is already adjusted in A4 size from its original and without staples or pasting pages.
  • Applicants are exempted from submitting (4) and (5) Indicated below if they can submit old/valid passports with used Japan visa.
  • It is applicant's responsibility to ensure that he/she meet the requirements for the grant of a visa. Submission of any supporting documents not listed below is encouraged (e.g. applicant's economic or social ties with the Philippines, urgent reasons for visit: medical certificate, wedding invitation).
  • Sufficient documents does not guarantee of an approve visa, still Japan Embassy's discretion applies.
  • If a falsified document is submitted, a visa will not be issued.
  • Documents submitted cannot be returned as a general rule.
  • In some instances, Japan Embassy ask for an additional document (other than the basic). Such documents must be submitted within three (3) months only, otherwise the application will be terminated.
  • Receipts of documents (PSA B/C, PSA M/C, Bank Certificate, etc.) should be removed.


(1) Passport

Note: In cases where the passport with re-entry permit has already expired, a new passport as well as the passport with re-entry permit must be submitted.

(2) Application Form for extension of Re-entry Permit

Note1: Please be sure to write "reason why you are requesting for extension"

Note2: Application Forms are available at FRIENDSHIP TOURS

(3) (If the validity of the re-entry permit has expired) Reason for applying after the expiry re-entry permit and proof/supporting documents

(4) Residence Card or Special Permanent Resident Certificate

D. Filing/Application

All applications must be done thru the FRIENDSHIP TOURS.


  • For lost passports with re-entry permit, please ask relatives etc. in Japan to obtain a "Certificate of validity of Re-entry Permit" issued by Regional Immigration Office and submit.
    ➢For delivery of "Certificate of validity of Re-entry Permit" in cases where there is no relative in Japan, please ask the Regional Immigration Office.
  • The shortest period for the review/examination is (2) working days (excluding holidays) however, it may take longer depending on the content of the application, thus earlier application is encouraged.
  • Even if you have an existing multiple re-entry permit, the extended re-entry permit that will be issued by Embassy will no longer be multiple-entry and will be valid for single entry only. Accordingly, after the extended re-entry permit is used to enter Japan, you cannot re-enter Japan without securing a new re-entry permit (including special re-entry permit).
Page Top