3/F Dusit Thani Manila ayala center, Makati City Tel. 8819-5644 / 8810-9622


Effective June 01, 2022 these are the new guidelines and implementations of documents in applying for Japanese Visa.

Applications with Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

(1) Spouse or child of Japanese National / Permanent Resident

(2) Permanent Resident If there is a COE, categories No. 3, 4, 5, and 6 are acceptable. There is no need to submit an ERFS Certificate

(3) Long Term

(3a) Family Residency or Specially Designated Activities Categories No. 7, 18, 19, 23, 24, 30, 31)

(3b) Family Stay or Specified Activities Categories No. 7, 18, 19, 23, 24, 30, 31, 34, 3, 8, 45, 47

(3c) Family Residency /Specially Designated Activities Categories No. 7, 18, 19, 23, 24, 30, 31, 34, 3, 8, 45, 47

As before, documents proving that family members are staying in Japan (e.g., resident card, copy of residence card, etc.) must be submitted)

(4) Short-term stay (Without COE)

(4a) Visiting Relatives (within the third degree of kinship)

(4b) Visiting Distant Relative /Acquaintance (Friend): Persons, regardless of kinship, with whom a relationship equivalent to that of a relative is recognized (fiance, de facto marriage (Common-law Spouse, Etc.),

Persons invited to attend a wedding or funeral, persons visiting a sick acquaintance, Etc...

(4c) SOFA Status

** Since relatives or acquaintances residing in Japan are required to pledge to comply with quarantine measures when applying for a visa as an inviting party. Therefore, a new format of Letter of Reason for Invitation and Letter of Pledge (either in English or Japanese) must be submitted for applications beginning June 1, 2022.

-- download link --
Invitation Letter  Invitation Letter (Japanese)
Letter of Pledge Letter of Pledge (Japanese)

** The Letter of Reason for Invitation must have a check mark placed in the middle column of the Agreement section of the attached Letter of Reason for Invitation. Attach the "Letter of Pledge" as an attachment (please DO NOT staple).

** Materials proving the purpose of the visit and the status of the applicant (documents proving identity, documents proving the fact of the wedding ceremony, etc., medical certificate from a doctor, etc.) must be submitted.

(5) In addition to the above, cases in which individual circumstances are recognized, such as when there are special humanitarian considerations (for persons receiving treatment for life-threatening illnesses) or when there is public interest (for engineers developing vaccines) (Letter of Reason for Invitation and Pledge" are required).

The following are applications that require a new Letter of Reason for Invitation and Letter of Pledge.

* Relatives (within the third degree of kinship)

* Relatives and acquaintances other than the above: wedding, funeral attendance, visiting a sick acquaintance, fiance (e.g., prima facie evidence must be submitted for each)



Visiting relatives residing in Japan

(If the relationship between the applicant and the relative in Japan is beyond third degree, please follow the requirements for temporary visitor visa for visiting friend)


  • Size of document for application should be A4 size only. If document is other size, please submit copy that is already adjusted in A4 size from its original and without staples or pasting pages.
  • It is applicant’s responsibility to ensure that he/she meet the requirements for the grant of a visa. Submission of any supporting documents not listed below is encouraged (e.g. applicant’s economic or social ties with the Philippines, urgent reasons for visit: medical certificate, wedding invitation).
  • Sufficient documents does not guarantee of an approve visa, still Japan Embassy's discretion applies.
  • If a falsified document is submitted, a visa will not be issued.
  • Documents submitted cannot be returned as a general rule.
  • In some instances, Japan Embassy ask for an additional document (other than the basic). Such documents must be submitted within three (3) months only, otherwise the application will be terminated.
  • Receipts of documents (PSA B/C, PSA M/C, Bank Certificate, etc.) should be removed.


All documents must be original unless otherwise stated.

1. Philippine Passport

  • Broken passport is not accepted. Must have signature and have at least two (2) blank visa pages.

2. Visa Application Form

  • Available at the OUR WEB SITE, at the entrance of the Embassy or at FRIENDSHIP TOURS.
  • Application form should be filled out all items correctly, If item is not applicable, please fill in [N/A]. Embassy may not accept application with blank item, no signature or no date in the form; may deny the application that is filled out incorrectly or wrong information.

3. Photo

  • Specs: 4.5cm x 3.5cm(2x1.4 inch),, with white background.
  • Photo must be taken within 6 months.
  • Please write applicant's name and birthdate on back side of the photo.
  • Photo must be pasted on the application form.

4. Birth Certificate

  • IT must be issued within one year from PSA Main Office/Serbilis Outlet Center (Nationwide).
    How to "Prove Relationship"
    Relationship (Applicant - Pinoy in Japan)Birth Certificate to be submitted
    Parents / Child / Brother / SisterApplicant + Filipino in Japan
    Aunt, Uncle - Niece, NephewApplicant + Parents of Filipino in Japan + Filipino in Japan
    Niece, Nephew - Aunt, UncleApplicant + Parents of Applicant + Filipino in Japan
  • If the birth certificate from Philippine Statistics Office (PSA) is unreadable, or has incomplete information, please submit the birth certificate issued by PSA together with a birth certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar.
  • If the birth certificate is "late registration", please submit in addition, a baptismal certificate and school record (Form 137) from high school or elementary and School Yearbook (if possible).
  • If there is no record in PSA, please submit a "Certificate of Non-Record" from PSA together with a birth certificate from the Local Civil Registrar.

5. Marriage Certificate (if the applicant is married)

  • IT must be issued within one year from PSA Main Office/Serbilis Outlet Center (Nationwide).
  • In case there is no record in PSA, please submit a "Certificate of Non-Record" from PSA together with the Marriage Certificate from the Local Civil Registrar.

6. Daily Schedule in Japan (TAIZAI YOTEIHYO )

7.Invitation Letter from Guarantor in Japan

8. Family Registration (Koseki Tohon) if relative in Japan has a Japanese Spouse or relative

  • It must be issued within three months

9. Residence Certificate (Juminhyo) of the relatives in Japan and of the Guarantor

  • It must be issued within three months
  • It must describe all family members without omission.
    (but need omitted Social Security(My number) and Juminhyo code)

10. Copy of Residence Card or Special Permanent Resident certificate of relative in Japan (both sides)

[If applicant will shoulder part or all of his/her travel expenses]

11. Bank Certificate

  • Validity of Bank Certificate is three (3) month from the date of issue

12. Income Tax Return (Form 2316) clear Photocopy ( latest)

[If Guarantor in Japan will shoulder part or all of the applicant's travel expenses]

13. Guarantee Letter

14. Income Certificate (Shotoku Shomeisho) from City Hall, Tax Return Certificates with Gross Income (Nouzeishomeisho: form2) from tax office, KAKUTEISHINKOKUSHO HIKAE or Bank Certificate (YOKIN ZANDAKA SHOMEISHO).

  • (14) must be issued within (3) months. Submission of Withholding Slip (GENSENCHOSHUHYO) in lieu of (14) is unacceptable. Please note that tax certificates must indicate the gross income amount
  • Guarantor's Income credential etc. is important in measuring the guarantor's capability therefore, submission of more than (1) document (e.g. Income Certificate and Bank Certificate) is allowed.
Page Top